Saturday, February 14, 2015

Buckets of Flowers. Flowers for years. Got all these flowers coming out of my ears.

Last year was a huge year for Root Bottom flowers. We planted 22 types/47 varieties of annuals in the cutting garden and started 38 types/50 varieties of perennial flowers for the 11 gardens we built around the farm. I also planted over 800 flower bulbs in the Fall.
2014 perennial seedlings
2015 is just as big on the flower side of things. Eight more gardens to build and plant. Did I mention I hate mowing our lawn for almost three hours a week? Last year, I cut it down to almost 2 hours a week by filling in hard to mow areas with flower gardens. I'll take their colorful displays over mowing those plots any day.

Master garden map 1:4 scale (the guesthouse, barn and art studio are much farther away, but I wanted it on one sheet). Just the random green areas (red hot pokers) came with the property.
A lot of my favorites will be planted again this year, but I am excited to introduce some new ones to the mix. I am planting 21 types/39 varieties of annuals (16 new varieties) in the cutting garden and 63 types/83 varieties of perennials (32 new varieties). 

Looking at last year's garden designs, I was predominately drawn to warmer displays of red, oranges, yellows, whites and the occasional purples.
This year, I am cooling things down and establishing two very large cottage gardens boasting whites, purples, pinks, reds, blues, greens and grays. I am also doing a true shade garden (17 varieties), a lavender garden (5 varieties), a poppy garden (5 varieties), an all yellow garden (14 varieties) and raised beds filled with sunflowers (15 varieties) along the barn.
If you know anyone getting hitched this Summer, we will be offering cut your own bridal bouquets by appointment. We will also be selling bouquets at the market and cut flowers to a few florist accounts.
I remember on our farm as a little girl there was always some kind of flower blooming. Daffodils growing along our gravel road in the Spring, followed by bright yellow forsythia bushes and fragrant roses around the property. I have always dreamed of an 'everblooming garden.' Our property was a perfect clean slate with endless possibilities of design, color and style. I feel truly lucky to be able to have the garden(s) of my dreams. 
I think I am most excited for my all poppy garden this year!
Poppies will always make me think of my Grandaddy and I look forward to his warm presence along our roadside.